18 Jun 2016
Sydney Interior Designers | Property Styling
Property Styling Tips
- Neutralise rooms – strip the house of clutter, personal items from bathrooms and anything that interferes with buyers imagining themselves living there.
- Ensure furniture and soft furnishings play to the property’s architecture.
- Scale furniture to fit spaces – smaller if the room’s tight (a double bed instead of queen-size), bigger if it’s cavernous.
- Create an open-arm welcome – keep spaces fluid and open. Don’t back a sofa, for instance, to a doorway; don’t simply push furniture against the wall to create roominess.
- Add “pops” of colour – flowers, fruit, anything that brightens and lightens the house.
- Invest in new accessories – cushions, throws and rugs can transform rooms (and hide stains).
- Give the house a fresh, new look and smell – a coat of paint (especially the front door), new carpets and, externally, a high- pressure clean.
- Keep driveway clear of cars.
- Hire a professional who isn’t too close to the property and can introduce a dispassionate eye; know the market you’re styling for.
- Enter the house as if you’re a buyer not a seller